Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Facing stranger, facing yourself ...


I stumble on this peoem as i was walking alone to my empty room in this cold country.
I don't know why but those words were so fascinating to me.
And as i was trying to not break into little pieces in the lift i realise that those words meant something to me.
Something i always felt in a way, but that i never really understood.
It was what i felt a lot of time, what i wish i could feel again, and somehow what i was feeling right now.
For those 65seconds in the lift, looking at the steel doors i felt an unreal and strong connection to Ellie Wiesel.

"Our fear of strangers calls into
question of our own role in society.
I have only to look at one to realize
that in the eyes of other people I,
too, can be a stranger, and that a
stranger would be afraid of me.
In the context of humanity as a whole,
we are all strangers.
We all have something inside us that
does not belong to us, that we cannot
make out, that we cannot grasp.
Since he is, in a way, similar to me,
a stranger frightens me.
In the last analysis, I am only afraid
of him because I am frightened of
myself. What if I were the other?
The truth is: he and I are the same."

No comments:

Post a Comment